Are flights included?

International flights are not included but if the tour has domestic flights then yes, they will be included in the price unless otherwise stated. Each tour page has a specific “what’s included” and “what’s not” section.

Can I stay longer?

Yes of course you can extend your trip if you wish, we’ll even book the extra nights for you if you want.
TIP: Most people have found that doing extra activities before the trip is better than doing it after the trip.

How can I book a spot?

The adventures can be booked online, by email, or even over the phone.  To book your place you’ll need to put down a either a US$500 or US$1000 (depending on the adventure chosen) deposit via credit card or direct bank transfer. If you are booking online, you have the option to pay the deposit and leave us a message in the note section. All online transactions are secured with 256 bit encryption.

Do you have a price guarantee?

Absolutely. Himalayan Heroes is extremely confident that we offer the best value for money tours of the Himalayas, Rajasthan, East and South India, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan and Sri Lanka, therefore offer a price guarantee to prove it. Others make the same claim (even going so far as to copy and paste our guarantee onto their website!) but they simply cannot match our prices, let alone the quality of accommodation and service we provide.  

More info can be found here

Do I need Travel Insurance?

Yes, it is mandatory to have travel insurance to cover you for the period of the tour. It is imperative that your insurance covers you to ride a bike of 500cc AND that it covers off road riding. A lot of travel insurance policies will not cover you while riding a motorcycle of over 50cc so please ensure you check your policy thoroughly. There is no travel Insurance policy to our knowledge that will provide personal liability cover if you are in control of a motorised vehicle. Please see the Terms & Conditions for more detailed information. We need to see a copy of your Travel Insurance policy before you arrive.

We have found World Nomads to be the most popular motorcycle travel insurance amongst our riders.

NOTE 1 : We aren’t insurance brokers so cannot possibly keep up to date with all the different policies available or even if the companies listed above still have suitable policies. You really need to do your own research to ensure the policy covers you for what you need.

NOTE 2 : Travel insurance ceases the moment you return to your own country. Private or government health cover automatically resumes if you require treatment once in your own country.

There is optional motorcycle insurance for any damage to the motorcycles.

What Visa's Do I Need for India, Nepal, Bhutan & Mongolia?

Visiting India, Nepal, Bhutan and Mongolia requires a passport that has at least six months of validity remaining at time of application and must have two blank pages.

Please check our VISA INFO page here

What other paperwork do I need for the tour?

You’ll need travel insurance and an International Driving Permit is usually necessary to ensure you are covered by both your Travel Insurance and the motorcycle insurance.

You will also need to bring four identical passport-size photographs

Nepal (Please have ready at the airport for immigration)

4 identical photos of dimensions: 35mm x 45mm


4 identical photos of dimensions: 51mm x 51mm (2 inches by 2 inches)

Mongolia (You will need to attach one to your Visa application)

4 identical photos of dimensions: 30mm x 40mm

Do I really need an IDP (International Drivers Permit)?

While the chances of being asked by local authorities to produce your current drivers licence (and/or International Drivers Permit) will be very low, we still require our riders to provide a copy of their International Drivers Permit.

The reason is very simple. Most travel insurance policies require you to be licensed in the country you are travelling in for the cover to be applicable. We have heard of cases of riders having their travel insurance claim denied simply because the rider did not have an IDP.

An IDP is very cheap and easily obtainable from your local motoring authority.

Australia  –

UK –


Canada –

Singapore –

Waterproof gear, do I need it?

We’d suggest bringing some form of waterproof gear. Personally, I just pack a two piece plastic type that slips over my riding gear. It works a treat, is very light, doesn’t take up much space and they’re very cheap on eBay. If you’re coming from Australia, then I can recommend Third Gear

It is also advisable to bring some zip lock bags to put your phones, tablets and sensitive documents in. Nothing worse than when you are trying to cross a border with a passport that has been drenched and the chip no longer works. Don’t ask me how I know!

Is a sleeping bag really necessary?

I don’t usually use one as the bedding provided is very warm and comfortable enough. However, I wouldn’t travel without one just in case. Temperature rated -5°C and as small and light as possible is recommended.

What about altitude sickness?

Most riders don’t get affected by it, even when we go to the highest motorable road in the world but some do. Stay hydrated and notify us as soon as you feel a bit average so we can keep an eye on you. There is oxygen in the support vehicle if needed.

Learn more about it, the symptoms and the treatment here.

This info is only applicable to the following adventures.

  • Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride
  • Top of the World
  • Super Scramble
  • High Himalayas
  • Head Hunters
  • Thunder Dragon in Bhutan
  • Stairway to Heaven in Nepal
  • Raiders of the lost Caves in Nepal
  • Quest for Everest in Tibet
  • Karakorum Trail in Pakistan

Riding gear - What do I need to bring?

Please read our comprehensive guide here

If I’m trekking in Nepal, what do I need to bring?

The three day trek optional add-on is not a hard core trek so keep that in mind when checking this link

How much riding experience do I need?

These aren’t easy tours so its important that you are a confident rider. I had never ridden on dirt before riding in India but I managed alright. We rode in mud, through rivers, in the rain and fog with 5m visibility up the Rohtang pass with no guard rails in 10°C temperatures.

Although we’ve had learners ride with us, we’d recommend that you have about two years recent riding experience. If you’ve ridden dirt bikes, do track days or raced motorcycles then you’ll eat this up. If you can lane split in city traffic then you can dodge sacred cows, Tatas and oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road.

Are the motorcycles insured?


In the countries we conduct adventures, commercial insurance including third party insurance on motor vehicles is either not available, or is of questionable value. While the bikes are insured, the insurance is generally worthless to a foreigner in the event one needs to make a claim. Accidents and damages occurring in these countries are usually settled on the spot and can take days, weeks and even months.

Himalayan Heroes offers optional insurance that covers damage to the bike you are riding. The premium is US$195 paid as a lump sum before the tour starts. In the event you damage the motorcycle, the insurance will cap any damage bill at US$200 “excess”.

3 Scenarios

  1. If, like most of our riders, you do not damage the motorcycle then the total cost to you is US$195.
  2. If, like some of our riders, you put the bike down and damage mirrors, levers, foot pegs etc and the damage bill is say US$120 then you pay the $120. The total cost to you is US$315 (US$195 + US$120)
  3. If you have a big off and damage the tank, forks etc and the damage bill is say US$750 then you only pay the $200 excess. The total cost to you is US$395 (US$195 premium + US$200 excess).

This insurance is optional so if you would like to carry the risk yourself, you are welcome to. At the completion of the tour, you will be presented with an itemised bill of the damage to the bike. Approximately 50% of our riders do not damage the bikes and of the 50% that do receive a damage bill, the majority of the bills are less than $300. Please send us an email if you’ve got any questions about the insurance or are thinking about any of our adventures.

Is riding in India and Nepal dangerous?

Riding motorcycles anywhere is dangerous. Riding motorcycles that are based on a 1950’s design and haven’t improved much makes it all part of the adventure right!

We generally won’t be in the high density, big cities where people seem to be on a mission to get wherever they’re going as fast as humanly possible without any regard for their own life let alone anyone else’s.  Personally I find the drivers in the Himalayas are some of the best and most courteous drivers and riders I have come across anywhere in the world.

How fast will we be riding?

Royal Enfields can reach 130km/h if the road is long enough, the wind is behind you and you are traveling downhill.  However it is unlikely you will hit 100km/h which is fine because the bikes don’t like it at that speed. They are much more comfortable at 80km/h so we’ll sit around that when the road conditions allow.

Can I use the bike at the end of the days ride?

The short answer is no. Our mechanics work on the bikes at the end of each day, bringing them back to their best so you can have a trouble free run the next day.

How fit do I need to be?

Steve lost 45kgs and was still 140kg when he rode the highest motorable road in the world and he did that easily.  It was a little tougher for him when we decided once we’d gotten to the top that we’d climb a further 400m to get a better view.  Surprisingly, it is usually the smokers that get least affected by altitude sickness.

Like everything in life, it helps if you’re fit but you don’t need to be a cross-fit world champion to enjoy these adventures. If you want to go trekking in Nepal, disregard what I just said and start training yesterday.

Can I take a pillion rider?

Absolutely, we’ve had a number of pillions who have enjoyed themselves immensely. It is important that they are aware of what is in store for them and by that I mean there are long days in the saddle, bumpy roads, river crossings and some awesome drop offs with no guard rails. We usually have space in our support vehicles, so pillions may be able to hop off and grab a seat if they feel like it ….but not always so it shouldn’t be relied upon.

How much spending money will I need?

I spent US$100 the first time and US$200 the second time.  Everything on tour is paid for apart from Alcohol and souvenirs etc so you won’t need much. The countries we visit are cheap places to visit for western tourists so we doubt you’ll need more than US$500 for the two week adventure.

Should I tip the support crew?

Absolutely. The support team wakes up before you and checks tyre pressures, fill petrol tanks and warm your bike up. They follow us throughout the day and fix your bike in a jiffy if there are any problems. At the end of the day, while you’re enjoy a refreshing frosty treat, they are getting your bike back to tip top condition, sometimes well into the night.

We’d suggest each rider tip the support crew US$100. It’ll be collected and handed to the senior crew member at the final celebration dinner to be distributed amongst the mechanics and backup team.  There are usually 4+ people in the support team, so you’re effectively tipping each crew member less than $2 a day. Frankly, that’s a bargain!

What is the accommodation like?

The price includes twin share accommodation so you’ll be sharing your room / tent with someone. If you want your own room, that can be arranged at an extra cost. Please note that single rooms may not be available on some nights but we’ll do our best to accommodate you.

Some tour operators promote their tours as if everyone is Bear Grylls.  After 8 hours on a motorcycle on some pretty tough roads, the last thing you want is poor accommodation.  India is a massive shock to the senses; we think it’s best if you ease yourself into it.  We’ll stay at a great hotel on the first night, a quality local hotel the next night before we hit the road and stay in the best accommodation en route.  Even the tents we stay in have en-suites…seriously.

Our riders usually always comment that the accommodation was better than what they were expecting.

Can I charge my phone, camera or laptop?

Most of the time you can.  You can charge most things in the back up vehicle and the hotels of course.  Even most of the camps will have a power point that you can charge your electrical goods with.  However power cuts are common so electricity can’t be guaranteed.  You’ll need a travel adaptor to recharge your electrical goods.

This page is a great resource

How much luggage can I bring?

Most airlines inside India are limited to 15kg so please travel lightly. Excess luggage charges aren’t exorbitant but please don’t bring 25kgs+.

I usually have 12 – 15kg of luggage and that includes, jacket, boots, helmet and a yeti suit.  A lot of people buy supplies in India as clothing is very cheap.  Sometimes they also leave their well used riding gear, helmets and any unwanted clothing for the support crew to distribute amongst themselves or families. It isn’t required but it is welcomed. Support vehicles have limited space so please bring soft luggage so we can pack it in tight.

Is food included in the price?

All meals are included. You’ll pay for your own alcohol only. 600ml Kingfishers are around than $5.

I'm a vegetarian. Is that cool?

There is no cooler place to be a vegetarian than India and Nepal. They do a mean mutton curry but vegetarian meals are available everywhere.

Is there somewhere I can wash my clothes while on tour?

When we stay in hotels they’ll do it for you at really good prices.  That has always been good enough for everyone so far.  I’ve run out of clothes a couple of days before getting to a hotel and just wear a dusty, sweaty T-Shirt.  I don’t smell the best when I get to the hotel but that could be the Yeti suit that I haven’t washed in three years.

Is the water safe to drink?

Drink only from sealed water bottles which are available from the back-up vehicle as is chocolate.  If you are using a CamelBak type system, then you can top it up at each stop…with water not chocolate, chocolate will clog it up.

I suggest brushing your teeth with bottled water and maybe skip the “on the rocks” drinks.